Skip to main content

Daily Office readings for March 13, 2020

Friday in the 2nd Week of Lent.

I wanted to post a link to the service hymn #35 in The Hymnal 1982 from The Episcopal Church being sung/performed, but I couldn't find one. 
The text of the song is the same as the verses 1-7 of Psalm 95, and a portion of the tune of the song can be heard ( here )

S35. The Invitatory: Venite
1. Come let us sing to the Lord;
let us shout for joy to the Rock of our salvation.
2. Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving
and raise a loud shout to him with psalms.
3. For the Lord is a great God,
and a great King above all gods.
4. In his hand are the caverns of the earth,
and the heights of the hills are his also.
5. The sea is his, for he made it,
and his hands have molded the dry land.
6. Come, let us bow down, and bend the knee,
and kneel before the Lord our Maker.
7. For he is our God,
and we are the people of his pasture
and the sheep of his hand.
Oh, that today you would hearken to his voice!

Compare those words of praise to the cry of help from Psalm 69 - 
69 Salvum me fac
1 Save me, O God, *
for the waters have risen up to my neck.

2 I am sinking in deep mire, *
and there is no firm ground for my feet.

3 I have come into deep waters, *
and the torrent washes over me.

To read those words all in the same day sounds like a typical day for a human like me. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mark 10:17-22 The Rich Young Man - Feb. 19, 2019

Chinese depiction of Jesus and the rich young man, Beijing, 1879. Mark 10:17-22  - 17 Now as He [Jesus] was going out on the road, one came running, knelt before Him, and asked Him, “Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?” 18 So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. 19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery,’ ‘Do not murder,’ ‘Do not steal,’ ‘Do not bear false witness,’ ‘Do not defraud,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother.’ ” 20 And he answered and said to Him, “Teacher, all these things I have kept from my youth.” 21 Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me.” 22 But he was sad at this word, and went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions. I love this story, especially Mark's version. This rich young man has